Fountain Pen Converters
The Fountain Pen Converter is a marvellous invention which acts as a refillable substitute for the traditional Ink Cartridge. It is a small device which fits into a fountain pen, often in the same way an ink cartridge would and is refillable with the use of Ink Bottles. There are many advantages to this such as a wider choice of ink colours and it is less expensive than buying cartridges in the long run. The converter works by using a piston style refill system in which you either pull or twist the plunger, whilst the open end of the converter is submerged in the ink to draw ink into the chamber.
We recommend that if you are going to purchase a converter for your Fountain Pen, look for a converter with the same brand as your pen. Some converters may have compatibility issues because of the size of the converter or the connection type, as some can be simply pushed on and others need to be screwed into place.
The Online Pen Company: Fountain Pen Converters
A fountain pen converter is a small suction tool that contains an ink reservoir, enabling you to use it with any branded bottled ink. They can be plugged into your fountain pen just like a cartridge would be, however, in order to use a converter your fountain pen must have a cartridge-converter filling mechanism and must be compatible with the selected converter.
So, every fountain pen has a filling mechanism or a way of drawing and storing it’s ink. This could include a cartridge, cartridge-converter, piston, eyedropper, or a vacuum. Cartridge pens take ink cartridges, piston pens have a built-in piston transferring the ink from the nib to the reservoir, eyedropper pens use an eyedropper to fill, and so on.
Cartridge-converter fountain pens are definitely the most common form of fountain pen converters as they can use both ink cartridges and converters, depending on what your preference is.
How to use a Fountain Pen Converter
If you have a cartridge-converter fountain pen, you must then select the right converter for it. We stock a wide range of fountain pen converters here at The Online Pen Company, including top brands such as Caran d’Ache, Cross, Faber-Castell, Diplomat, Rotring, Visconti and Sheaffer. This means you can be sure you’re using a high quality converter suitable for whatever brand you own.
Once you have selected your converter that is compatible with your favourite fountain pen, you can then use it to refill your ink.
To use your converter, follow these simple steps:
- 1. Push the air out of the fountain pen converter by twisting it counterclockwise.
- 2. Once the air has been pushed out, remove the cap of the fountain pen and unscrew the nib from its barrel.
- 3. Push the fountain pen converter into the fountain pen nib until it feels nice and secure.
- 4. Then, draw ink from the bottle by placing the nib of the fountain pen into the bottle, then twisting the converter clockwise to suction up ink.
- 5. Twist the fountain pen converter counterclockwise to force the remaining air out. This forces air bubbles out of the converter, maximising the amount of ink that is drawn into the fountain pen.
- 6. Repeat step number four to suction up more ink if required.
- 7. With the converter still inside, reassemble your fountain pen.
- If you have and difficulties when filling the converters using the above method you can also remove the converter from the fountain pen, transfer the ink using an eyedropper, and then re-attach the converter to the pen when it has been filled.